Saturday, June 6, 2009

Delsa's Homemade Ice Cream








I am a huge nostalgia junkie and loved the little ice cream shop on Ustick Road in Boise. It had been a fixture in Boise since 1961 but closed its doors in 2007 as the new owners had filed bankruptcy. Like so many I was heartbroken when it closed and looked like it was gone forever. I am thrilled to share that it just re-opened. I drive by every day on my way to work and have watched as they have been working on bringing the tiny restaurant back to life. We stopped by on their opening weekend for some ice cream and it was wonderful. I have always loved their Mud Pie Ice Cream. I felt like this little shop was begging for a box (how could I resist) so I just planted one today. I had Lizman and Gambler Man along for the ride. Naturally it was the mouthwatering menu of burgers and ice cream that enticed them to come along. The portions of food were huge but somehow we managed to have ice cream too. Isn’t there always room for ice cream? Lizman had vanilla and I had my favorite Mud Pie. Gamblerman opted for a peanut butter shake with his meal. We had to waddle over to the hiding spot I picked because we were stuffed. Fortunately this was a quick plant and not a 3 or 4 mile planting expedition. We would have never made it.

Delsa’s Homemade Ice cream
http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=116504


Delsa's History:

There was a time in Boise when farms and wide open spaces were as common as heavy traffic is today. It was 1961 when Owen and Delsa Walton opened a tiny ice cream parlor in front of their farmhouse on Ustick Road—a location that was way out in the boonies at the time—and served nothing but Mrs. Walton's homemade ice cream. According to customers back then you could enjoy an ice cream cone on the patio while watching the Walton's cows mosey around their pasture. Not only did Delsa Walton have recipes for delicious ice cream, she also conjured up interesting concoctions like the Log Cabin Sundae. Chocolate ice cream with maple syrup and pretzel sticks, anyone? Sometime after the Waltons sold Delsa's in 1971, a small kitchen and dining room were added to the parlor, and sandwiches, burgers and fries joined the menu. Gone is the farm of yesteryear. Today, the property is surrounded by subdivisions and a couple of dental offices.

1 comment:

  1. Fucking hate that place, the guy name Nick West is an fucking dick, his son is a asshole too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails