Monday, July 9, 2012

Carving Large


This past week I traveled to Florida and I wanted to plant two boxes while I was there.  I have worked really hard to fine tune my ability to carve smaller not only to conserve rubber but also to create images that can be planted in smaller containers and that are just the right size for LTC's.  But sometimes I just can't help myself and I break out and carve large.  The carving above is a perfect example of one of my large carvings.  She measures approximately 5 inches x 4 inches.  I was really under the gun time wise to get her carved to take with me for planting (I was still carving the night before my flight) as luck would have it I did not get either carving planted while I was in Florida.  A freak storm descended upon my boxing day and I was forced to bring both boxes back to Boise with me.  The good news is I can now make LTC's of both carvings before I beg someone in Florida to plant these boxes for me.  I always try to plant where I box as a thank you to the boxers who have planted for me.  I felt really bad coming back with both of these un-planted.

As a contrast my owl carving that was also slated for Florida (Harry Potters owl to be exact) only measures 3 1/2 inches x 1 1/2 inches.  Hedwig is the perfect size to use on an LTC.  I picked the owl because I visited The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios in Orlando.  The mermaid was in honor of my trip to Florida and the beautiful ocean that surrounds Florida.  Guess I better get to crafting again.  The Mermaid will be the most challenging of the two carvings to work with just because of her size.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails