Monday, December 3, 2012

Seattle Day 2 - Starbucks & Lowell Restaurant








Due to the rain Anthony and I decided to skip the Macy’s holiday parade in search of drier activities and strolled down to the original Starbucks at Pike Place Market. The original Starbucks was established in 1971. Because the Market is a historic district with design guidelines, the store retains its original look. There are over 13,000 Starbucks in the United States alone. I think half of them may be in Seattle because I saw a ton of Starbucks Coffee shops while we were walking around. But nothing beats visiting the one and only original Starbucks Coffee House. I had read on-line reviews to expect long lines at the caffeine giant’s birth place but the rain must have kept everyone at a distance because we walked right in and had the entire coffee house to ourselves (I was shocked). I was able to ogle the cups, mugs and tumblers at my leisure and selected a ceramic tea mug with the original brown logo, used from 1971–1987, printed on the front. What is a bit ironic is that I do not actually drink coffee. It is way too bitter for my taste buds. I purchase Starbucks beans to grind for Anthony but I prefer their fancy coffee drinks, Frappe’s, tea’s and Chai.


After our historic coffee house visit we strolled over to Lowell’s Restaurant & Bar also in Pikes Place Market. Lowell’s Restaurant & Bar has been serving the public for close to 100 years. In the early 1900′s Lowell’s was a combination coffee roaster, peanut roaster and cafeteria that served the citizens of the Seattle when they visited the “Public Market” to purchase fresh farm produce, seafood and dairy goods. I ordered the Canadian Bacon Eggs Benedict and Anthony had an omelet. We sat on the third floor overlooking the Port of Seattle. This was a great spot for a weekend breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails