Thursday, November 25, 2010

Abundant Blessings in the Smallest Moments





Earlier this week Raisin, Jay and I pulled through to the window at the drive through at our neighborhood Starbucks to pick up my favorite drink, drip coffee for Anthony and whipped cream for them. As we were chatting with the Barista I noticed that the man in the white pick-up truck behind me looked annoyed and impatient. His body language spoke volumes and I knew this was my chance to completely turn his day around from where it had started. I handed my multi colored debt card back to the barista and asked that they charge me for his breakfast sandwich, coffee and newspaper. I am thankful that I was able to alter the course of his day with such a small effortless gesture.

Patti the receptionist from Occupational Medicine who works across the parking lot of the building I work in called me to let me know she was preparing to set up for the Employee Holiday Bazaar at the hospital this week. Patti hand crochets hats and scarves to earn extra money for her family each holiday season. Last year I purchased a hat from Patti. Knitting, quilting and crocheting are not gifts that I possess. Patti stopped by my office with her bags full of hats for me to rummage through. There sitting on top was the perfect hat for a friend of mine who I know will cherish a hand-made gift (even if it did not come from my hands but my heart). I am thankful that I have been able to support Patti’s creative gifts and talents through my tiny purchases each year.

In the mail I received a letter from Sebin a 7 year old boy we sponsor in India through Compassion International. He wrote to thank us for a gift we provided, shared an update about his grades and let us know that he prays for us each and every day. I am thankful that Sebin is a part of our lives and that I am able to be an Advocate for Compassion International.

Last night on my way home from work I stopped at Albertson’s to pick up a few last minute items for today’s Thanksgiving feast. An employee that I recognized stopped me just inside the large sliding glass doors and asked me if I would like to donate a dollar to the Idaho Food Bank. Having just opened my wallet at my last stop I knew that I had a single dollar bill in inside. I reached in, pulled out the dollar and placed it inside the jar that he had grasped in his hand. I am thankful that I am often able to give when I am asked.

Through my Stephen Minister training I have a wonderful prayer partner. I want to shower her with tiny reminders of encouragement and support. Each week I am stealing away to my craft room to design and create a card for her with my stamps, glues and glitters. I am thankful that I have the supplies, time and skills to add a little cheer to her mailbox each week.

A co-worker shared with me some frustrations that surfaced this week in her life. She was blindsided and was in a lot of turmoil about a situation that had sprung up without warning. I am thankful that she felt comfortable in sharing with me the difficulties that are weighing heavy on her heart and that she knew the information would remain completely confidential. I am thankful for her trust.

I am usually unaware when I am in the right place at the right time to make a small difference for another person. I often do not recognize the significance of the moment I have participated in (or even the odds against me being there in the first place) until I stop to reflect hours, days or weeks later. My biggest blessings in life center around what I can give and not what I am thankful for that I have received. I am grateful for everything in my life (friends, family, Peis, employment, home, transportation and hearth) but I cherish and am most thankful when I can give.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails