Sunday, December 5, 2010

Cookies Inspired by My AQ Secret Santa



When my original Secret Santa gift arrived there were two cookie recipes inside. One for Candy Cane Cookies and one for Chocolate Coconut Neapolitans. I have never made either cookie before but I have a cookie exchange to attend tomorrow night and need 3 dozen cookies for the event. Mr. Blackvelvetrav and I decided to try our luck with the Chocolate Coconut Neapolitans. I whipped up the batter earlier this morning (it needed to freeze for about 4 hours) and we just cooked them up and dipped the first couple of batches. I did double the recipe but we didn't come out with as many as we were thinking we should. I think we may have cut them too thick. My Secret Santa got the recipe from Taste of Home. I looked at one of my Cookie Books from Taste of Home and sure enough it was in there. I hope they are a hit tomorrow. My hands are still dyed red from blending in the red food coloring with my hands.

Chocolate Coconut Neapolitans

1 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon Spice Island® Pure Vanilla Extract
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon almond extract
4 drops red food coloring
1/2 cup flaked coconut, finely chopped
4-1/2 teaspoons chocolate syrup
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1-1/2 teaspoons shortening

Line a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with waxed paper; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Divide dough into thirds. Add almond extract and red food coloring to one portion; spread evenly into prepared pan. Add coconut to second portion; spread evenly over first layer. Add chocolate syrup to third portion; spread over second layer. Cover with foil; freeze for 4 hours or overnight.

Unwrap loaf and cut in half lengthwise. Cut each portion widthwise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip one end of each cookie into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.

1 comment:

  1. They look wonderful! My mom used to make candy cane cookies every year - they were so good! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails