Monday, July 18, 2011

Harry Potter Premier with the Planning Committee






I had never gone to the midnight premier of a movie until this past Thursday's opening of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2. I have been to opening days but I have never waited in line for a movie with hundreds and hundreds of excited movie fans. I was fortunate to be included with the Harry Potter NW Letterboxing Party Planning Committee in their midnight flight to the premier in Washington.

We started our wait in line outside around 7 p.m. It was so much fun to see everyone in their costumes and we had fun exchanging signature stamps. I brought along goody bags for the committee and this was the perfect time for me to hand them out.

We eventually moved into the lobby of the theater but we had to leave the camping chairs in the car. This was not very comfortable but at least we were out of the wind and near the bathrooms and concessions stand. My dinner consisted of popcorn, water, a pretzel with salt and a Coke Slurpee. I had a free small popcorn coupon and upgraded it to a large. The guy at the concession stand said I could share it with all my friends and re-fill it as many times as I wanted. 8 people shared what was basically a $2.00 popcorn. I am not sure how many times we filled it but talk about an amazing value. That made up for my $4.00 water and $5.00 Slurpee. I was originally going to pass up on the upgrade but I was honest about how I would use it and the guy totally encouraged me to do it so I didn't feel too bad about enjoying their hospitality at the concession stand.

With about 2 hours left to wait they moved us into our theater. We juggled around seats a bit between a couple of the theaters but eventually we all ended up together in one row in the same theater. I will admit our original seats were much better but it was great to be together as a group. The movie started with cheers from the audience and it was a wild ride from there. I did manage to take off my fetching witches hat for the movie so those behind me didn't need to cast a spell.

I must confess that for a group of Letterboxing ladies it was great to let our hair down and to hang with the teens for an evening. Funny though we were yawning as we headed for our cars around 3 a.m. and I think the teens were just getting started for the night. Maybe if we take a nap next time we can pull an all nighter and even surprise ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails